Data Science for Social Good
The Data Science for Social Good fellowship is one of the longest standing summer programmes to train data scientists to work on real-world problems with tangible social impact. I was part of the 2019 cohort of fellows hosted by Imperial College London and worked on a project using deep learning to analyse echocardiograms.
TechWomen is an initiative by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of International and Cultural Affairs. The programme annually selects 5 women from 21 countries for an immersive networking and career development experience in Silicon Valley. I had the fantastic opportunity to be mentored by Jill Finlayson and Molly Pyle at Singularity University Ventures in 2018.
Young Africa Leadership Initiative
The Young Africa Leadership Initiative (YALI) is premised on the purpose of the Africa Leadership Initiative. YALI’s mandate is to develop the next generation of values-based young African leaders who are prepared to be significant and be co-creators of a good society. I participated in YALI in 2016-17.
- 2017 - 19: Executive Committee, Engineers Without Borders International
- 2013 - 19: Board of Directors, Engineers Without Borders South Africa
- 2018 - 19: Organising Committee, R-Ladies Cape Town
- DataHack for Financial Inclusion, Keynote at Launch, Cape Town, South Africa, 10 April 2019.
- AI+Blockchain for Social Impact Training, Facilitator, Cape Town, South Africa, 5 March 2019.
- Africa Business Media Innovators Conference, Workshop presenter on Data Science, Victoria Falls, Zambia, 19 November 2018.
- South African Innovation Summit, Panelist on AI in Africa, Cape Town, South Africa, 13 September 2018.
- AI Expo Africa, Moderator for Case Studies Track, Cape Town, South Africa, 9-11 September 2018. [video]
- Namibia Engineering Week, Speaker, Windhoek, Namibia, 10 August 2018.
- City.AI Inaugural Event, Panelist on Implications and Impact of AI, Cape Town, South Africa, 27 March 2018.
- World Wide Web Foundation, Roundtable on Policies and Practices to ensure AI is for All, Cape Town, South Africa, 6 November 2017.
- McKinsey Africa Digital Summit, Poster presentation of masters research, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2017.
- Sustainability in the Resources Industry Summit, Panelist on Workforce of the future, Johannesburg, South Africa, 29-30 September 2015.