Diverse Intelligences Summer Institute
The Diverse Intelligences Summer Institute is building a vibrant network of early-career scholars who are devoted to bold, transdisciplinary inquiry into the origins, nature, and future of intelligences. I have been selected as a DISI fellow for the Summer 2022 programme.
Data Science for Social Good
The Data Science for Social Good fellowship is one of the longest standing summer programmes to train data scientists to work on real-world problems with tangible social impact. I was part of the 2019 cohort of fellows hosted by Imperial College London and worked on a project using deep learning to analyse echocardiograms.
TechWomen is an initiative by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of International and Cultural Affairs. The programme annually selects 5 women from 21 countries for an immersive networking and career development experience in Silicon Valley. I had the fantastic opportunity to be mentored by Jill Finlayson and Molly Pyle at Singularity University Ventures in 2018.
Young Africa Leadership Initiative
The Young Africa Leadership Initiative (YALI) is premised on the purpose of the Africa Leadership Initiative. YALI’s mandate is to develop the next generation of values-based young African leaders who are prepared to be significant and be co-creators of a good society. I participated in YALI in 2016-17.
- 2022: ML Efficiency Workshop Organising Team, Deep Learning Indaba (Tunis)
- 2017 - 19: Executive Committee, Engineers Without Borders International
- 2013 - 19: Board of Directors, Engineers Without Borders South Africa
- 2018 - 19: Organising Committee, R-Ladies Cape Town
Public Seminars, Workshops and Invited Talks
- Artificial Intelligence Act Workshop of the European Association for Biometrics Presenter and Panelist, Online, 14 June 2022.
- Building trusworthy AI with Mozilla, Panelist at Women in AI Ethics Rethink AI Summit, Online, 25 May 2021. [video]
- Reimagining Smart Cities in Africa Webinar, Panelist at ICLEI Africa: Reimagining the smart city: an African way, Online, 23 Feb 2021.
- A primer on edge intelligence for smart grids, SAIEE National Conference Johannesburg, South Africa, 28 Nov 2019.
- Unsupervised Machine Learning 101, Deep Learning IndabaX, Durban, South Africa, 16 April 2019. [video]
- DataHack for Financial Inclusion, Keynote at Launch, Cape Town, South Africa, 10 April 2019.
- AI+Blockchain for Social Impact Training, Facilitator, Cape Town, South Africa, 5 March 2019.
- Africa Business Media Innovators Conference, Workshop presenter on Data Science, Victoria Falls, Zambia, 19 Nov 2018.
- South African Innovation Summit, Panelist on AI in Africa, Cape Town, South Africa, 13 Sep 2018.
- AI Expo Africa, Moderator for Case Studies Track, Cape Town, South Africa, 9-11 Sep 2018. [video]
- Namibia Engineering Week, Speaker, Windhoek, Namibia, 10 Aug 2018.
- City.AI Inaugural Event, Panelist on Implications and Impact of AI, Cape Town, South Africa, 27 March 2018.
- ckan + R: workflows for data retrieval and archiving, satRday 2018, Cape Town, South Africa, 17 March 2018. [video]
- World Wide Web Foundation, Roundtable on Policies and Practices to ensure AI is for All, Cape Town, South Africa, 6 Nov 2017.
- McKinsey Africa Digital Summit, Poster presentation of masters research, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2017.
- Sustainability in the Resources Industry Summit, Panelist on Workforce of the future, Johannesburg, South Africa, 29-30 Sep 2015.